Pages

Monday 22 July 2013

Chocolate chip and cherry scones



Recently I've been trying to do the impossible, I've been trying to cut down on my calorie intake. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a really sweet tooth. Scones are popular with my friend who is diabetic because they don't have much sugar in them, obviously that does depend on what you put in them. I've used glacé cherries and chocolate but you could use almost anything or leave them plain.

Ingredients

225g (8oz) self-raising flour  
1 tsp baking powder  
25g caster sugar  
55g butter or margarine (I use Stork) 
6 tablespoons milk (and some for brushing)
100g dark chocolate finely chopped
100g glace cherries chopped



Preheat the oven to 220°C / gas mark 7.
Add all of the ingredients into a bowl and mux into a dough.
Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to around ¾ inch thick.
Cut into 2½ inch circles, space them out onto a greased baking sheet, brush with milk and pop them into the oven for 12 – 15 minutes.



When they’re browned and risen take them out of the oven and put them on a wire rack to cool.

Serve with clotted cream, or if like me you're trying to be good a low fat spread will have to do (but trust me these scones are tasty enough as they are).


No comments:

Post a Comment