Pages

Tuesday 9 July 2013

The most amazing birthday cake and meeting Jo Wheatley



It was my birthday just over a week ago and the thing I was probably most looking forward to was my birthday cake. Weeks and weeks ago my best friend Francesca said she wanted to make me a cake and she certainly didn't disappoint.

Apparently she started with the idea to make a sheep cake pop and the farm scene cake developed from there.




The cake was made up of sheep, pig and chicken cake pops. The pigs and sheep were living in a chocolate fudge cake pen with curlywurlys for the fence. The chicken coop was made of biscuits with mini fudge chunks for chicken feed. Oh...and if you're wondering the grass was buttercream with a special Wilton nozzle. Everything was edible.

On my birthday weekend a group of us went to Wisley Gardens for their annual Garden Party. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed a picnic on the lawn. Jo Wheatley, winner of 2011's Great British Bake Off was there to do a Q&A and book signing. My friend Becca who works at Wisley bought me the book as a birthday gift and had it signed too.


The Q&A was really interesting, Jo talked about her experience on the Great British Bake Off including her nerves on the first day when she saw how good all the other contestants were. She was asked what her favourite cake is and she answered the classic Victoria Sponge as you can adapt it in so many different ways with different fillings.

It was really nice to hear that Jo has maintained a good friendship with Mary Berry since the show. She seemed absolutely lovely and I can't wait to start baking from her new Home Baking book, available exclusively at Sainsburys.

No comments:

Post a Comment