Pages

Sunday 6 July 2014

Rhubarb Crumble

About once a month I have the family over to mine for Sunday lunch. When I say Sunday lunch, I mean lunch on a Sunday and not a full blown roast dinner (just to manage expectations). It's much more likely to be a shepherd's pie or a spaghetti bolognese.

On these family Sundays I ALWAYS bake something, and everyone leaves with any leftovers. They now arrive expectant, clutching their tupperwares and asking "where's the cake?"

Today was one of those Sundays and I decided to make use of the rhubarb my mum gave me from her garden a few weeks ago. And of course I opted for the classic rhubarb dish; rhubarb crumble.

I used this recipe from the Stork website. I know the chef who creates the recipes for Stork and I have tried quite a few and they always turn out really well.

I made a few simple adaptations; I used golden syrup sugar rather than normal caster sugar, added some digestive biscuits to the crumble and cooked it in one large pie dish rather than making four individual crumbles.

Ingredients

For the filling:

  • 500g rhubarb
  • 40g golden syrup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the crumble topping:
  • 100g plain flour
  • 50g golden syrup sugar
  • 50g Stork
  • 4 (or more) digestive biscuits, crumbled


Preheat the oven to 200oC / 180oC / Gas Mark 6.


Cut the rhubarb into small chunks.


Mix with sugar in a pan and cook for 8 minutes over a moderate heat stirring regularly. Add the cinnamon leave to cool slightly while you make the crumble.



In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and the Stork to make the crumble.
Spoon the rhubarb mixture into the pie dish and put the crumble on top.
Sprinkle over four crumbled digestive biscuits.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked and golden brown.


I served it with natural yoghurt which is a great summery alternative to custard.

I wasn't even sure that I liked crumble that much but it was delicious. Rhubarb can be quite tart but the cinnamon seemed to balance it out and the digestives and golden syrup sugar made it even more delicious.

I'm now deciding what other crumbles I can make, apple and cinnamon, mixed berry, apple and raspberry, the possibilities are endless.

What's your favourite crumble recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment